Oldies But Goodies

'Lo all,
 
        If you've read any large amount of books, you probably have noticed that in a lot of cases there is a wise, old mentor, who not only helps the main character, but makes you feel secure. Like "Frodo WILL get the ring to Mordor, Gandalf with make sure of that!" or "Harry WILL defeat Voldemort, he has Dumbledore!" Now, of course these hereos play a large part in their triumph, but today I'm appreciating the oldies, but oh-so goodies.

Note: There are some spoilers in here. If you are unsure of a certain person having spoilers, just drop a comment and I'll tell you where.




So first is Albus Dumbledore. Dumbledore gave me a lot of comfort throughout the Harry Potter series. I knew that Voldemort would never win with him around. Now when he died I was very sad. I am a little past the middle of the last book, but I feel like Ron. Is Dumbledore really and truly dead?


Next is Gandalf the Grey. I have to admit, he is my favorite "oldie" In fact when he "died" I was certain he hadn't, becuase Gandalf is just so...awesome. He has a wonderful dry sense of humor and did I mention his smoke rings?  My dad to this day does "Gandalf smoke rings"  with his pipe. 



Obi Wan Kenobi is, yes, I know from a movie. But I think that he should be added here. : )

I think that Obi Wan shouldn't have  died right in the first movie. I would have preferred a dramatic death in the last movie. But, still I do really like Star Wars. 


And then, of course we must add our little green friend Yoda. I must say, he creeps me out a bit, but he is awesome just the same.

Do you have any golden oldies you would like to add to the list? I'll add them if I know them.

 ~Kathryn

2 comments:

  1. UGH YODA YAAASSS he's amazing. So is Obi Wan. I confess, I didn't think he was permanently dead. I thought, "Oh, Star Wars directer whatever-your-name is, you think you can fool me, but I've seen LotR one too many times!"
    (LITERALLY THE WHOLE TRILOGY I WAS EXPECTING HIM TO COME BACK AND I WAS TOTALLY CONFUZZLED WHEN HE DIDN'T IT AT THE END.)
    I've noticed all these oldies seem to die - probably so the hero has to go through the struggle of figuring things out on his/her own, as a plot device. But now it's never a shock anymore when oldies die - in fact, people expect it because they always die! Someone should make an oldie that doesn't die. That'd be cool.

    - Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment!
      And yeah, isn't that weird they all seem to die? Maybe it's so the main character has to fend for him/herself.
      ~Kathryn

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment-you're the best!
~Kathryn

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com