Dystopian Fiction: Not Just a Pop Culture Thing for Girls



'Lo all,

I was sitting in history class(my favorite class) last Friday.
We were learning about Martin Luther King Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement, and I started thinking. A dangerous pastime, I know, but I think that my thoughts might make an interesting blog post. 

~

I think that we all tend to think that books like The Hunger Games Trilogy or The Giver Quartet are books for emotional teenage girls who are into mush, drama, and raw portrayals of human feelings. I myself am not an ultra fangirl of these books. I have never been into those kind of books, but I cannot help but admire the real meanings behind them.

They're frighteningly realistic. And not just because the writers posses the power to paint a  cruel world with their pen. Dystopia, as I'm sure you know, is the oppisite of Utopia. Dystopia presents to us what our world could be. What it will be if we don't change our ways or continue to break moral law. 
So how does this harken back to Kathryn's history class?

It's a fact that we learn from history. 
"History is doomed to repeat itself" is a well known quote, and it  rings with truth. In most of these stories about dystopian societies, there is a reigning power, and everyone else is doomed to be poor and harshly treated. This is common theme in our past, and still today. It is also true that we have been on the brink of nuclear warfare, that man is so desperate for power, he would be willing to destroy entire countries and millions of innocent lives for the state of being in the upper hand and higher seat. 

Authors that write dystopian fiction are saying what people have been saying for centuries. Saying that these things are wrong. However, they are usually using the future as a setting. This presents a different atmosphere, making the lesson seem less redundant. 

How are you reading dystopian fiction? Are you reading it because it's popular or so that you can get your drama loving side on? (this is not a fault, I will try a book out if my friends are into it.)
 Or are you seriously questioning our world because of it?

Something to think about.

~Kathryn

17 comments:

  1. I think I 'd enjoy history if only we leant about more interesting things! Right now we're learning about 'The Peasants Revolt" and I can't stand it! Learning about Martin Luther King Jr would be soo much better! I tried to read The Hunger Games but I kept quitting it! I prefer mysterious books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been interested in the past-so really I find any time period interesting, but others may not find it so! I hope you learn about something you like soon. : )
    I thought the first and second books were good, but I have to force myself to read the third as I find it boring. I just really want to finish the series. : )
    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm into all sorts of books though...:adventure, fiction, non-fiction, history, fantasy, I love dystopian though and not because of romance but because of what they do to survive. I'm literally a bookworm but books like pride and prejudice I had a hard time to get myself to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you like a variety of books!
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  4. In school I'm learning about the civil rights movemunt, along with other things.
    <3Bella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Bella. : )
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  5. Ok this is so weird. I had History last Friday as well and I was taught the exact same thing as you. History isn't something I'm passionate about but on those rare occasions where I find myself totally consumed with historical facts and all things in between, I find myself liking it a little.You bring up a good point in this post. I'd never thought of Dystopian books this way and now maybe I will.In a way Dystopian novels are like the what if of our world, right? Stella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a coincidence!
      Thanks for the commentary.
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  6. I agree. History is especially bound to repeat itself if we forget the mistakes that happened in the past. Forgetting things like the Crusades, the Holocaust - that will only make them happen again.

    - Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input!
      Oh, and Ellie, my comments havn't been showing up on your blog, so just so you know, I liked your recent post. : )
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
    2. Ok. Thank you! :)

      - Ellie

      Delete
  7. I've learned the same thing-history is destined to repeat unless we change our actions.
    I agree with Ellie too-we have to remember to change.
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absoloutly, Emily! : )
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  8. This is fascinating to think about, and my mom and I have conversations on this exact same topic. I believe that our world is slowly heading towards a situation maybe not as extreme as a Hunger Games or Divergent but towards a government gone truly wacko and control-crazy....
    I also just love the books because they bring out the inner fangirl in me too, so there's that :)
    Thanks Kathryn!

    Chloe | Curious Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Chloe!
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  9. This is very true. Our culture's fascination with dystopian books scares me a lot. I've never been much of a fan, even before The Hunger Games and Divergent and the like became really popular. I came across a post that said something like "our media is focusing on the love triangle rather than the blood in The Hunger Games, exactly like the Capitol did" and I think that hits the nail right on the head. I agree that dystopian fiction has value, but it ought to scare people - or at any rate, make us nervous - not be the equivalent of some fantasy world like Harry Potter. It's a warning, not something to obsess over and dress up as. I have read all the books and seen all the movies, but I wouldn't call myself a fan by any means. I don't even like admitting to having seen the later movies. In fact, I swore I was done with them once the announced that they were making Mockingjay into two movies (I'm so annoyed about other series trying to jump on the Harry Potter bandwagon - Deathly Hallows was split for a reason, okay) but things happened and I did end up seeing it. And it was chilling.
    Long story short, nice post.
    Also, your blog title is spectacular. It alone got me to visit your blog the first time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, very interesting and well said!
      Thank you. : )
      ~Kathryn

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment-you're the best!
~Kathryn

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com