To the End of it All~Chapter One

'Lo everyone,

        Here is the first chapter of the new story! Enjoy!






"Elsie Mildred Troth, come here....NOW!"
Oh dear. I was in trouble again.
I walked down the carpeted stairs primly, smoothing out my dress. Mother would be most displeased with the collection of wrinkles I had acquired on the rosy pink-hued and dainty garment. I walked into our elegant sitting room, looking straight toward my mother where she said, rigidly, in an ornate chair. Her long brown hair was tied up in a neat updo with a green ribbon. Her face was strained. 
"Elsie, this needs to stop. It truly does." 
"What is it mother?" I said, trying to keep calm. I admit, I do have a temper. Little things can set me off. Nonetheless, if I didn't want trouble, I must be "a proper lady." And according to mother, proper ladies don't lose their tempers.
"Elsie, James Thatcher has informed me that instead of sitting outside in the orchard doing your sewing, you were reading." Mother drew her lips in, shaking her head. "A proper lady must be accomplished in all handiwork. Reading too much strains the eyes!" 
I could feel anger and despair rising up in me, but I fought to keep it down. I desperately hated to fight with mother. It was so time-consuming. "I shall go attend to my handkerchiefs right this moment." I said with mock politeness, inclining my head to my mother as I left the room. I walked briskly back up the stairs, down the long hall with family portraits adorning the walls, and into my small room at the end of the corridor. I jerked the horrible sewing basket out from under my bed and promptly sat in a hard wooden chair, darning handkerchiefs for all I was worth. I must, I simply must finish my book! That was the rouble with mother. She simply did not understand the feeling of incompleteness  that came with wrenching me out of a story with her reprimanding voice. 
Oh my, I almost forgot. Before I continue with my story, I must introduce myself. As my mother has made known to you, my name is Elsie Mildred Troth. I am fourteen years of age. I live in the English countryside in Troth Manor, the old and large house that my father inherited from my grandfather. I live with my mother and father, as well as my aunt and uncle.  I used to have a little brother....he was a really pleasant  little fellow. But one day when I was 12, two years ago, he drowned in the large lake that is on our grounds. Mother used to be fun and happy, but ever since that accident, she has changed. She is more strict, less joyful. I do not like her that way. 
I, myself, am most like my father. I am quiet by nature, but my thoughts are always buzzing. I prefer to sit alone and read or think. I do not associate well with the prim young ladies mother invites for tea. In fact, I have a secret.
You must promise to tell no one. I have an inkling father knows, but I know he shall not stop me.
I play with the boys.
Yes, the very idea would make mother faint. But once a week on Saturday afternoon, I slip into my father's old hunting clothes(they fit me rather well) and I run down to the woods, picking up my bow and arrows that I keep hidden in a tree trunk. I meet up with my best friends in the whole world, a group of fun-loving, good-natured, band of boys around my age. The boys usually hunt for food as their family's are quite not as well to do as I. However, when I put on father's clothes and turn into "Theodore Thatcher" I can be myself. These boys are my only friends, but there is one that I admire. He is not my...friend.In fact I am quite terrified of him. He does not notice me, but I favor him very much, and I do hope he notices me someday. His name is Edward Harrington, he is 15, and he is one of the kindest, politest, and fun young men you could meet. He only occasionally joins the boys' hunting expeditions, so I do not see much of him. But when I do, you can be sure I make a fool of myself and get so clumsy, rude, and awkward, I make myself shudder. 

Life at the manor is dull, and without my books and the boys, I would certainly be quite miserable.

And there is also the library. 

~


That is the end of chapter one! What did you think?

 ~Kathryn


8 comments:

  1. I like this a lot! Elsie feels so relatable, and the imagery is lovely. Plus that title man. Amazing.
    Great job, Olivia and Kathryn!

    - Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! It's really fun to work with such a fun and creative character. The title-I have no idea where that came from, just popped into m'head. ; )
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  2. Oh. My. Gosh. I love it! Can't wait for the next chapter!
    ~the other Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! ; )
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  3. Absolutely wonderful!!! I'm so excited for the next chapter. Elsie is such a quirky gal, isn't she? I'm so happy that you're writing with her. :D
    ~Olivia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's so fun to write with. Thanks. : )
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  4. This is awesome! Hmm... do we detect a hint of future romance? :) Can't wait for the next part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too much romance. : ) Mostly adventure.
      Thanks!
      ~Kathryn

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment-you're the best!
~Kathryn

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com