To the End of it All~Chapter 5+A Question



'Lo everyone,

Presenting to you the next installment of this tale. It took me while to get this written out, I've been very busy! I'm swamped with end of school year assignments plus ballet.

Do look at the previous chapters if you haven't read them yet, or if you just want a refresher. : )

Also... Blogger has been acting weird. Did you get an email that says I have a new post, and it was The Lunar Lady poem again? I have no idea why that happened as I wrote that  last month! Ugh, tech problems are the worst. I hope that this problem resolves itself, if not, it may not be Blogger at all. Is anyone else experiencing problems?

~



The morning of the party dawned bright and sunny as I slipped out of bed. I washed and got dressed in my gown. Sighing, I resolved to behave and be proper for mother.
  Ding.... I jumped as I heard heard the doorbell clang. I hurried downstairs, stopping in front of the mirror. Then, taking a deep breath, I opened the door. A girl with red hair and a yellow parasol stood there. She had a turned up nose, and the appearance of a sour lemon. Clenching my teeth I withheld my grimace. This was Esme Malad, the preacher's daughter. Oh dear. 
"Hello Esme." I said politely, dropping into my most graceful curtsy. Esme inclined her head and stepped in. "May I take your-" "No...thank you." Esme said, folding her parasol and placing it in our rack. "Alright...then.." I said awkwardly, leading Esme into the parlor. She plopped down in a large armchair. I sat down tentatively. "Mother is just making sure the refreshments are ready." I said, faking a smile. "The other girls should be here soon." "I'm sure." drawled Esme, yawning. I frowned a bit, but luckily the bell rang again. "Excuse me for a moment." I said, glad to get out and away from the tiring creature. I opened the door to four giggly girls by the names of Mary, Anna, Jane, and Ermingard.
"Girls, I am so glad you could come!" Mother chirped, grabbing her parasol and positioning her hat. She grabbed the picnic basket and stepped outside. We walked for about five minutes until we came to  a green and grassy field. I layed down the floral cloth as Mother set out the sandwiches, cold tongue, salad, and lemonade. Mother went to sit on a different flowered blanket so "we girls could chat for a bit." 
The girls ate and chattered about their rather uninteresting things. Then again, who am I to judge on how a person spends their life? I must focus on my own and do what I can with it,  making it my own. I pity these empty headed girls, these girls who's imaginations are limited and who's brains are idle.
 I nodded occasionally, saying "Oh!" trying to sound engrossed in the relating of the lives the girls led. "And what do you think about the new fashions Rossingers got in, Elsie?" Jane asked lazily, sipping her lemondade. "Errr....sorry....what?" I said. I had been thinking up a story, paying no attention to the talk. "Oh, poor Elsie, can't even tell a dress from a corset!" Anna tittered. Mary joined in. I bit my tongue in anger. "I believe I can because I don't wear a corset by free choice in the first place!" I snapped. This was a mistake. "Doesn't wear a corset? No wonder you look so..." Esme trailed off in a gale of laughter. I sat up. "Well you could do with less ribbons! You look like a clown from the circus!" I snapped. Esme drew in her breath and gave me a dirty scowl. I returned it, deeper. Jane sat up. "Don't bother with Elsie. She's too stupid to know what  she's saying Esme dear." "YOU'RE A STUPID, INSOLENT, EMPTY HEADED PRIG!" I shouted in Jane's face. I looked straight into her pale blue eyes, boring my anger into her. Mother sat up and walked over. "What are you doing Elsie?!" she admonished, looking shocked. "Elsie is being exceedingly rude Mrs. Troth." Ermingard said, pretending to look hurt. "Girls, it is getting late. We had better be getting home. I am sorry for my daughter's behavior."
Mother looked very upset as she gathered the things. I felt awful. All my good intentions had flown out the window. 

The girls went home, I am sure to relate my rudeness and ruin my reputation. It was too late to see if any of the boys were at our spot in the woods, so I slipped into my nightgown and slid into bed. I had not seen nor talked to mother since three hours ago. As sadness and madness swirled in my head, I whispered a silent prayer that I would someday learn to control my temper.
The tears that dribbled down my red cheeks tasted salty in my mouth, and they were the last thing I remembered before I fell fast asleep. 


How did you like that chapter? A bit down, I know, but don't worry! Elsie will feel better soon. : )

~Kathryn



6 comments:

  1. Great chapter! :) Poor Elsie.
    I haven't gotten any email about the Lunar Lady. I hope Blogger fixes itself soon! :)

    - Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellie!
      Okay, that's comforting to know. : ) I hope that it gets fixed soon as well.
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  2. I didn't get an email. No worries. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. : ) Thanks!
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  3. That was awesome! (Those girls are snobby :) good job on their characteristics! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate it. : )
      ~Kathryn

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment-you're the best!
~Kathryn

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com