Homeschooling


'Lo,

A commenter recently asked what I thought about myself being homeschooled. Today I'm here to share my opinions and experience concerning homeschooling.

~~~

I've been homeschooled my whole life. There is a good Catholic school five minutes' walk away from our house. My parents were considering enrolling me when I was about to start school but they realized that the atmosphere was a bit much for a kid barely turned 4. So they said they'd try homeschooling preschool, then send me to school.
We ended up loving it.
We had so much flexibility, and we could tailor curriculum to be more our style. To name a few things we like  read the classics, and learn cursive, a skill being done away with in some public schools.

Is there any downside to homeschooling? Well, in my personal experience, I noticed I felt left out when it came to interacting with people who talked about their schools all the time, specifically at my old ballet school where everyone went to school. One of my best friends goes to a public school as well. I sometimes think it would be fun to go to school, but hey, I can go to school for four years in college. 

There are countless advantages to learning at home, and so many opportunities. People who don't know about it say it's easier, but in my opinion, it's harder. My mom needs to make sure we get standard Illinois school hours everyday, and send in things to ensure I'm doing well. Every day of school I do in the next four years is important, as it will determine my future academic career. 

Now, to address those silly little stereotypes that have taken hold of so many people!

1. Homeschoolers are unsocial and sheltered. 

I have plenty of opportunities to get together with friends and go to classes and groups. I have ballet three times a week, and we get together with lots of families. On Sunday we go to church, basically where I can see tons of my friends all at once!
I am not sheltered...I know what a 13 year old girl should know. I will learn what I need to know when I have to. 
I hope to do debates and talks against such common issues as homosexuality, abortion, and other violations of moral law. This is not because my whole family believes this is wrong, it is not because others say it's wrong, it is because I, as a Christian believe it is wrong. Therefore, I don't think I am sheltered against what needs to be known.

2. Homeschoolers are...stuck up?

I have no ideas where this stereotype comes from, but I see it a lot. If I tell a kid I'm homeschooled, I have to work hard to prove that I'm not "stuck up" or goody good."
I believe people think that homeschoolers don't think they're good enough to go to school. This is wrong, but it is an understandable misunderstanding. 

3. Homeschoolers tend to be opposed to the ideas of magic, fantasy, and other like subjects.

Whenever this would come up in a conversation, say at a random class or something, some people seemed hesitant because "a homeschooler" was around. This would bug me because:

  • I'm a huge fantasy geek. Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, the game Dungeons and Dragons, you name it. 
  • I am not "easily scared." I enjoy telling and listening to scary stories and watching Burton movies. I can watch movies with heavy violence such as The Lord of the Rings or the later Harry Potter movies. To be honest, I'm really only scared of realistic things such as major injuries or...spiders(ghastly little blighters.) Just because I am said to "be sheltered" doesn't mean I'm a scaredy cat.
So as you can see, people were surprised when they learned about this. I remember this one girl was surprised I was wearing a mermaid shirt! 

So to wrap this post up, I though you'd like to see the subjects I do!

+My mom teaches me math, English, and with my dad, literature. This year we're delving into the Greek classics such as The Illiad and The Odyssey. 

+I do science(physics and chemistry) online. I have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00 to 9:05 a.m.

+Latin is online from 12:00 to 1: 30 p.m on Wednesday. 

Ancient Greek history is from 12:30 to 1:50 p.m. on Thursday. 

And lastly, Theology is on Tuesdays at 11:00 to 12:20

These classes have plenty of homework. 

And I guess you could count ballet as my P.E. Since I want to be a professional I practice a bunch during the day. I sometimes stretch while reading for school! Right now I'm working on my flexibility and strength and trying to boost my abilities while I'm on break from dance. It starts up again next month and I'm so excited.

Have a nice night!






10 comments:

  1. I love this! When I was little I used to want to be homeschooled, but I still just go to public school. There's pros and cons of both, I've learned!
    -Lady Claire

    P.S.- One of my best friends is homeschooled and she is none of those stereotypes! Where do they come from? :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think going to public school would be kinda fun.
      Answer to P.S.: They float around...everywhere *eery music*

      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  2. Yes, number #3! Sooo annoying! I mean, look at me! I love Narnia, I love Star Trek, Mission: Impossible, and in a year or two I'll probably be pouring over Martin Freeman gifs and reading LOTR theories.

    ~Lydia~ <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tsk tsk tsk. Those silly false ideas.
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  3. Thats cool. I think it is kind of mean an unfair when being act differently toward homeschoolers.

    ~Nabila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and also homeschoolers shouldn't make judgements about public schools either.
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  4. What online school are you doing Latin with? I'm taking Latin online this year, too, with Veritas Press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing it through Memoria Press, as I've been doing for 2 years. It's awesome!
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  5. So true! I'm home-schooled as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's so cool!
      ~Kathryn

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment-you're the best!
~Kathryn

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com