Da Writing Slump Supreme


You've been there, I've been there, we've all been there.

"Kathryn..." you say to me, quite confuzzled. "I do believe you've gone mad at last. Where have we been?"

TO THE GREAT VAST ABYSS OF UNINSPIRATION.


Quickly let me put my pen identity on.


~

Hello, friends.

It is I, Giselle Hawthorne once again. I have posted a few times on Kathryn's blog, but you can find out more about me here.
Today I will be discussing how to get inspired when it comes to the dreaded condition known as "writer's slump."

1. Don't feel forced to write.

Most likely, if it's boring to you, it will bore your readers. Instead of running on empty, refill your  "story mind" before continuing to write. Despite what others may say, I believe it is fruitless to write if you do not enjoy it and immerse yourself in the story as you do it.

2. Read

Find a good book to read and sit down with your notebooks. Write down any tacts, plot twists, characters, or anything else you find that you think makes a good story. Apply these to your writing, thus adding more density and teaching you even more writing secrets!

3. Convey emotion.

Sometimes, it just helps to write from the heart. You can delete it later if you don't like it, but for now, put yourself in your character's shoes. Feel what they feel. Move the plot along as you would in real life. Ask yourself these questions in every scene:

"How would I feel about this?"

"How would I act in this situation?"

"How would my actions affect others in this situation?"

4. Try a short story.

You can look on the internet, Pinterest, or just at pictures to get inspiration for a short story. Make it short, but get inspired for your larger story. For instance, if you are writing a fantasy story that takes place during modern times, you might try looking up pictures that have to do with the images that go with the story in your head.

5. Listen to new music.

First, decide what part of your story needs inspiration. Is this scene sad, happy, or hopeful? Or is it filled with anger or rebellion?

Play a radio station, Pandora station, or Spotify playlist containing songs with those auras. Close your eyes and slowly play your scene using the song. It's kind of like a movie in your head, isn't it?

Your thought process should be rather like this.

"Alright. Right now my character is feeling blue. I want my scene to have a sad air to it, with a tinge of hopefulness as my character thinks about her predicament"

Classical music seems to fit this scene. Try a film score! I've Seen Hell(BBC North and South Serial) Darcy's Letter(Pride and Prejudice 2005) are a few scores from soundtracks, though I randomly happened upon the Edward Scissorhands soundtrack on Pandora and it really helped me with my sad and macabre Christmas night(a short story, but good practice.) Again, tailor your music to your scene, and make sure you get into the real emotional state of your characters.

6. Have a few test readers.

Ask friends for honest opinions on your writing. Don't feel insulted if they give you criticism, they are helping you to be a better writer! 

Thank you for reading,










Kathryn here again... I agree with Giselle, those things really help me as well.

Good luck on your writing endeavors!



1 comment:

  1. Great post! I especially agree with 1 and 2.

    - Ellie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment-you're the best!
~Kathryn

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com