Tea and a Read~January

'Lo,


Reading: I finished The Phantom of the Opera a while ago, but since you guys were interested by it, I thought I'd do a short review.


First, here's the Goodreads synopsis.

First published in French as a serial in 1909, "The Phantom of the Opera" is a riveting story that revolves around the young, Swedish Christine Daaé. Her father, a famous musician, dies, and she is raised in the Paris Opera House with his dying promise of a protective angel of music to guide her. After a time at the opera house, she begins hearing a voice, who eventually teaches her how to sing beautifully. All goes well until Christine's childhood friend Raoul comes to visit his parents, who are patrons of the opera, and he sees Christine when she begins successfully singing on the stage. The voice, who is the deformed, murderous 'ghost' of the opera house named Erik, however, grows violent in his terrible jealousy, until Christine suddenly disappears. The phantom is in love, but it can only spell disaster. Leroux's work, with characters ranging from the spoiled prima donna Carlotta to the mysterious Persian from Erik's past, has been immortalized by memorable adaptations. Despite this, it remains a remarkable piece of Gothic horror literature in and of itself, deeper and darker than any version that follows

     Usually I hate any sort of  book that revolves heavily around romance, but this kept my attention, and I enjoyed it. I loved the suspense of this book, and I like how Leroux vividly painted the picture of an obsessed, malformed man who "only wanted to be loved for himself." 
I'll definitely be checking out the musical and movie eventually, because I  want to do a book/musical/movie comparison.
The characters were pretty well formed, although I did not like how Leroux portrayed the corp de ballet as idiots who didn't work at all hard.
I liked Christine, but Raoul was a bit annoying. He wasn't really  the strong manly sort of hero you'd expect...I feel as if it was The Persian who did all the work in the end.
And then Erik-just yes. Best villain(if you could call him that, after the end) ever.



Drinking: "Sweet Love" from Kusmi Teas. I picked this up in Paris, but you can order online here. A bit pricy, but very worth it. 


   The spicy and warm taste of this tea is a great afternoon pick me up when school strain is starting to hit. 

Are you reading or drinking any good books or teas this month? Let me know in the comments!







6 comments:

  1. I'm not allowed to read "Phantom of the Opera" until I'm older.
    I totally need some of that tea right now. I was out of school sick for a week and now I have a mountain of make-up work to complete. We just started algebra, and my homework just looks like a jumble of symbols and letters to me.
    ~Tenley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something to look forward to. :)
      Sorry to hear about being sick! Yeah, algebra is pretty confusing. Although sometimes it is interesting, plugging in the numbers into the equation.
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  2. First of all that edition! SO great! Can you get them online?! =D
    Second of all I think I need to read this as I adore the musical :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it at an English bookstore in France-although they do sell it on Amazon, just a wee bit more expensive. http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Collectors-Library-Hardcover-January/dp/B010EVNM54/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1453171141&sr=8-11&keywords=collector%27s+edition+phantom+of+the+opera
      The Collector's Library has beautiful books, and my mom got North and South as well. The website is http://www.collectors-library.com where Phantom is £7.99
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  3. well, i haven't been drinking tea since we ran out and i've been drinking hot coco.

    i finished extraordinary means this morning and finished winter from the lunar chronicals last night or saturday night.

    lovely post.

    xo
    emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, the book looks super good! I may have to check it out. I've seen the musical, so it will be quite interesting to see the differences. :)

    - Ellie
    http://ontheothersideofrealitynew.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment-you're the best!
~Kathryn

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com