My Name Is Death

I slip, sometimes silently, sometimes loudly, to their side.
Sometimes I blow a trumpet before me, other times I simply whisper in their ears.
 Sometimes they greet me with open arms, other times they shy away from me, frightened.
I wear a black and drab cloak, but am known well in all places, from the grandest palace to the dirtiest street corner. I need no identification badge, for you know me even if you have never met me.
My life is an imbrication of coming and leaving, leaving behind icy cold silences or searing hot mourning. It is a tiresome life, I must admit. But it is my life, taking yours. 
My name is an onomatopoeia. It is frigid and biting.  It is spat from the lips of man scornfully and fearfully. But it is my name.
Sickness sometimes is my harbinger of doom, and I suppose I have to give him some credit.
And all right, Unfortunate Accident plays a part at times.
Nonetheless, I have little leisure time.

My life is ordinary, minus those particularly nasty times when the corpses of men litter the earth and it is considered the "to be expected" result from another one of their wars.
My timid friend Life agrees that men are foolish, yet she does not want to say it.
Sometimes when I close doors, she opens them.
But how short a time they stay open.
Such a short time men have on earth.
It is true, that death brings life. If you are willing to live.
But not that artificial life men believe that they want.
But, my name is Death. I am not a philosopher, a poet, or any of the other world achievements of man. I am Death. 

my image





~

This poem was inspired by The Book Thief. :)

~ K a t h r y n



6 comments:

  1. PLEASE WRITE AND PUBLISH A BOOK OF YOUR POETRY OKAY THANK YOU.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you so much! That would be really exciting. :)
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! I love this poem! I love it, love it, love it!:D <3
    -Emma-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I love this! So well done :) I so love your blog and especially your writing talent. I just love how personal your writing is and how you can connect to it!
    Love your blog and especially your blog name!
    -Lauren
    lovingourcreator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Lauren. :)
      ~Kathryn

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment-you're the best!
~Kathryn

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com