Reflection

'Lo,
This is a writing piece for Misty's writing contest. :)


~

Swan.
That was her name. She had soft white hair that went past her waist, flowing as if blown by a soft breeze. Deep black eyes that penetrated whatever they looked at.
A truly beautiful girl.
Every night she was there by the castle lake, staring into the water. It did not seem like she was staring at her reflection, rather, she was searching far beyond that for something I did not and could not fathom. Misty tears could not help glazing over my eyes as I looked at her yearningly every night from the castle balcony. I wanted her, I knew that much. But I could not have her. She shied away from me like a frightened animal that flees the carnivorous predator. 
If you are a prince, you are very accustomed to getting what you want most of the time. That's why it was such a shock to realize that I could not have Swan.
Then one day she went away. 
I must say, I nearly forgot about her except for the haunting, ghostly dreams of a white bird floating on a silver lake lit by albicent moonlight, silent except for the rippling sound of the bird's lissome movements.
One night as I sat on the hard stone bench on the balcony looking up at the twinkling stars, I saw her.
She was not a girl now, but I knew it was her, for she had the same graceful neck, the same eyes that reached towards me despite the distance between us. 
I whispered a tentative goodnight and went inside.

~


It feels good to write a short story again. I did a lot of them last Summer, but recently I've been writing lots of poems. Thanks for reading!

~ K A T H R Y N

P.S. Can you guess what two stories this writing piece was inspired by?







12 comments:

  1. Great story! I love it!:)
    -Emma-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn, this is beautiful, and so mysterious! Awesome job! (We Swans have got this in the bag!) :D
    ~The Girl Upstairs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right you are, fellow Swan!
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  3. I loved this, Kathryn! I'm so excited to have you as a teammate - you write beautifully! :)
    ~Jaclynn~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Jaclynn!
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
    2. You're welcome! And as for what this was based after I'm going to guess Swan Lake and Beauty & The Beast? :)
      ~Jaclynn~

      Delete
  4. This is gorgeous!
    OKAY I KNOW ONE OF THEM IS SWAN LAKE. Man I love that story. Cygnus is one of my favorite constellations :)

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on Team Swan too! And that's lovely writing. Is it based on Swan Lake? I wrote a re-telling of that once, which I considered doing for the contest (as it had reflection in it) but decided it was more fun to write one specifically from that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone guessed Swan Lake correctly! The other inspiration is called "The Seven Swans."
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
    2. Hmmm - i've never heard of that book. Will look into it.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment-you're the best!
~Kathryn

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com