On Being Brave

I envy outgoing people.
You know those kind of people, the ones who will converse with a stranger without a problem, who can order food without rehearsing what they're going to say, the people that will try something new and enjoy it. These people are also generally good at laughing at their mistakes.
To those not gifted with that lucky extrovert-ness, these people can seem fearless, taking anything life throws at them.

I'm not good at those things, and I don't like people to know it. I have a perfect fake laugh for when I need it, I'm an expert at smiling when really I just want to go home and write out all my problems and have a jolly good cry. And I get angry at myself for this and often feel like I'm the only one who has these problems. 

I know that's not true though.

Everyone has their personal struggles. Everyone has to fight these struggles every day. Whether it be shyness, awkwardness, clumsiness, etc., we all have that one thing that makes us furious at ourselves. Everyone has these thoughts run through their heads at some point in the week, and it's universal. It doesn't even have to stem from the same issue.

"If only..."
"Well that was stupid."
"I really wish I hadn't done that."
"If I was..."
"I'm really disappointed in myself."

That word "if" keeps popping up, as I'm sure you've noticed in your personal experiences.
Ah,  if. A tricky little word that loves to worm its way into our minds when we forget to shut the door.
I don't like the word if. It's not concrete, it's wishful, it doesn't exist, somehow. Yet I am constantly imaging this alternate story where I look perfect, I act perfectly, and everyone accepts me and loves me for who I am because I oblige their every wish by fluctuating my beliefs and interests for their benefit. IF only I was that person!

That's where bravery comes in.

I think we often think bravery is committing some intrepid, admirable action that is great and storybook worthy. Certainly, when we read stories of the great deeds of others, I've often heard
"I could never be that brave..."

It's true. Great storybook actions show up in the paper and on the news every day. But there's a feat of bravery every one of us has the chance to perform everyday. In my opinion, it's harder than even walking into a burning building, saving a drowning person, publicly stating beliefs and smiling at the ridicule. 

This "feat of bravery" is simply confronting our personal struggles with a determined face, a will to change our weaknesses for the Greater Glory of God and for the greater enrichment of our own lives.

While our struggles never leave us, we have a chance to start out on a great adventure every day. In my opinion, the greatest act of bravery is choosing to start new this very day, and perform to the best of our ability.

Kathryn: *innocently looks out the window.*
Kathryn: AHHHH THE VIBURNUM IS IN BLOOM.
Kathryn: *proceeds to run outside in bare feet and snap pictures*
Kathryn: I wonder if the neighbors think I'm weird yet?
Kathryn: Oh, whatever, they came to that conclusion years ago.
"O soul seeped in darkness,
Do not despair.
All is not yet lost.
Come and confide in your God,
Who is love and mercy."

-St. Faustina 

~

Today I felt like taking a break from my recent fictional endeavors and taking a few minutes to write some commentary on thoughts that have been swirling in my head as of late. 
I hope it proves to be of some encouragement to you all not only in the upcoming stressful end-of-school year tests, but in your everyday struggles whatever they might be.

~ K A T H R Y N







4 comments:

  1. This is an awesome post Kathryn! I totally agree. I'm going to share this with one of my friends.

    Nabila // Hot Town Cool Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nabila! I hope your friend enjoys this post. ❤️
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5/23/2016

    I agree so much! Your really inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment. :)
      ~Kathryn

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment-you're the best!
~Kathryn

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com