Farewell, Summer

'Lo,

Summer isn't over until next month, but it feels like it as I go back to school, the weather gets cooler, and the stores bring out Fall/Halloween (and Christmas...?) decorations!

Today, I wanted to do a journal post recapping my Summer. I usually don't like to talk about myself so much in a post, but since I have repeatedly failed at keeping a diary, I hope to start doing more journal entries so that I have something to look back on. 

~


Goals

This Summer I made a lot of goals, and I'm proud of the work I put into them. I became more flexible, read more, worked more, created more, and marveled more. I'm going into the new school year with new goals, and my accomplishments this Summer are really motivating me to work at them.
This Summer, I've realized that anyone can make goals, but whether you achieve them or not is a test of how badly you want them. I've slacked on my goals sometimes this Summer, and it was definitely humbling to feel the self reproach that came with that.

I really enjoyed watching the Olympics-it's amazing and inspiring to see all the dedication and hard work that those athletes have and do. I've become inspired to work on my gymnastics skills, and I'm remembering all the Summer nights filled with backyard tumbling that I did when I was younger. :)



Changes

For those of you who didn't know, I've been homeschooled my whole life. Tomorrow, I'll be going to a brick and mortar school. The past few years, I've had a fear about going to school-previous bad experiences, stereotypes, and my own imagination have helped me create a very scary, yet realistic illusion about "going to school." I have yet to see what will happen...

I'll be turning 15 on the 30th! Time has flown, and I don't know if I'm ready. The changes of the past few months have shown me how unpredictable life can be, and I'm realizing that I can't change what God has destined for me, no matter how much I want to.



Fears

I fear that I'll lose the childhood wonder that I'm already unintentionally and unwillingly abandoning.
I fear losing my friends due to these new changes.
I fear that people will not like me as I am.
I fear that everything will get too overwhelming for me to handle.

I'm trying not to think about my fears-but I know that I'll have to face them sometime or other.



Fun!

The past few weeks, I've been giving my room a makeover! I designed a cork board, got a cute nightstand, created some decorative artwork, and made my room into what I call "my happy place."

I've been reading a lot of good books, and am bombarding my Goodreads followers with glowing reviews.

I've been snapping away with the camera, trying to capture the beauty of Summer and not coming even close.

I've been playing dolls with Pippin, and realizing that I still really like to play with, dress, and display my dolls. *

*I still sleep with stuffed animals, by the way...

I've fallen into an obsession with my fiddle and have probably permanently injured the ears of my poor family as I attempt to play my favorite tunes.


~

All in all, it's been a pretty monumental Summer for sentimental old me. ;)

What have you been up to this Summer? Are you excited for school?

~ K A T H R Y N











13 comments:

  1. sounds like a great summer! wonderful pictures, by the way.
    I was homeschooled up until college. I remember how scared I was being thrust into "real school." its scary. but you're going to be just fine. Gods got your back. dont be afraid :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging comment, Faith. : )
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  2. This is probably by favorite ever post on your blog. Is that you in those pictures? They are amazing!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ava! Yes, that's me in the pictures. My awesome sister took them for me. : )
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  3. Your summer sounds lovely. :)
    I've been homeschooled my whole life, but my dad is a teacher. I've never been in a "real" school, but I know you can do it. God's with you. :)
    And Happy Birthday! I hope it's as amazing as you are!
    ~Grace <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your amazingly sweet comment, Grace. : )
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  4. This was so fun to read! You seemed to have a really great summer!:) I can relate to your fear a bit, although I am mutually excited and nervous to grow up! I'm not trying to rush it, but I am super eager to turn sixteen! Talking about birthdays...I can't believe yours is so soon! Happy (almost) birthday!;) For some reason I already thought you were fifteen, and that you were older than me...XD I love those pictures of you, they're so pretty!:D
    -Emma-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really great Summer! Wow, Sweet Sixteen coming up! That's pretty exciting.
      Thanks for the early birthday wishes! Yeah, sometimes I can act like I'm way older than I am, and sometimes I act like a toddler. XD
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
    2. Wow, you guys are so much older than me, haha! I'm 13. :)

      Delete
  5. OH MY GOODNESS. GOOD LUCK WITH SCHOOL! You'll do fabulous, I know it. You're capable and smart and lovely <3

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Your comment meant a lot to me. : )
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
  6. Don't be afraid, Kathryn. God knows the plans He has for your life and you're an awesome person. (And you're really flexible.) :) Just prayed for you.

    -Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I didn't know you were learning to play the fiddle! That's so fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment-you're the best!
~Kathryn

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com