Tea and a Read~August 2016

'Lo,

I apologize for dropping the ball on last month's tea and a read-it was a whirlwind of business last month and before I knew it, it was August! (Whaaa???)
I've made up for this by reading like a whirlwind as well.

I used to be a speed reader when I was younger, disappearing for hours to read and hurrying to finish schoolwork so I could go enjoy my favorite pastime-sticking my nose in a book and not coming up for air until dinnertime/my eyes were on fire.  Then, the past few years, I've been going through what I describe as a "reading slump." I had a hard time concentrating on reading, probably because my responsibilties were growing and I felt like I should be doing something more useful than reading. It took me forever to finish a book, and lots I didn't even finish.

Luckily, I'm getting back on track, and realizing the importance of taking some time to read a fun book that's not school related! With all my down time this Summer, and taking a book along to all my siblings' classes and camps, I've been pretty productive reading wise.
These are the books I've read the past three weeks.


Drinking: Tea Sparklers! All you do is make your favorite fruit tea, mix it with sparkling water, and add some ice. Very refreshing on a hot Summer's day.


Reading: The past three weeks I've finished May B., Cranford, The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Legend of Sam Miracle, and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

May B. by Caroline Starr Rose


This was definitely a quick and easy read, but it was a thought provoking and beautiful novel. I loved that it was written in verse, and I got lots of inspiration for my own writing. It never occured to me the troubles students with learning differences would have fitting into a classroom back in the 1800s, when these differences weren't known about.

Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell


This wasn't as good as North and South, but it was a sweet book. I love those Cranford ladies. :)

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy

(I'm sorry, I forgot to take a picture of this one.)

I loved this book! Action packed and dramatic, I couldn't stop reading! At first I thought the main character was pretty lame, but then I became more aquainted with her internal struggles and found myself sympathizing with her and rooting for her. 

The Outlaws of Time, #1, The Legend of Sam Miracle by N.D. Wilson


I LOVED this book, and can't wait for the rest of the series to come out! The characters were amazing, and the story was creative, even though there is the "chosen one" cliche. The book was pretty confusing with all the time travel and multiple deaths of the same characters (he..he...read the book), but I kind of like that in books and movies because I can fill in the holes with my own imagination. What I refer to as "Alice in Wonderland" type books. 

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne


I had really high expectations of this book, and I'm an ardent Potterhead, so I wanted to give it a glowing review. Unfortunately, I found it so-so. It read as more of a fan fiction, but I guess that makes sense because it's a play and it isn't written exclusively by Rowling. However, it was totally worth the read! I finished it the day I got it, so it's a quick and fast moving read. Definitely reading the next part when it comes out.

~

What have you been reading/drinking this month? Tell me below or leave a link to your blog's Tea and a Read post.

Have a good day!

~ KA T H R Y N





















7 comments:

  1. I love these posts! :) I'm really interested in May B....it seems like such a neat book.
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Grace <3
    P.S. I'm SO excited for FLC!
    I'm going to be hosting a writing camp in September...do you have any Team name ideas? I'm absolutely stumped. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like these posts! I like doing them. May B. is a really neat book, I think you'd like it.
      As for team name ideas, I tend to use mythical creatures. But it might be fun to use a team name inspired by popular classic lit, like the "Little Women" or the Green Gables. I don't know, that's kind of cheesy...XD God luck!
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
    2. They're very fun to read. :)
      Thanks for the ideas! Both ideas are great!

      Delete
  2. Okay, those tea sparklers sound AMAZING. I'll have to try them out!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You'll have to let me know what you think, if you like.
      ~Kathryn

      Delete
    2. I linked up! :) Thank you for hosting!

      Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

      Delete
  3. I love these posts! I've had the same sort of "reading slump" lately, and it's no fun. I've been reading a book, The Mark Of Athena, for about 2 weeks when normally I'd finish it within 2 days. It's SO awful! Drinking wise... Water. Lots and lots of water. Texas summers are HOT! 105+ degrees is quite normal where I live. You can hardly go outside without melting to the ground! :P Anywho, great post Kathryn!
    ~Tenley and The Sunshine Dollies

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment-you're the best!
~Kathryn

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com